Is there a correlation between spending money and being social? Just a thought brewing in my head today. Since returning to Utah, I haven't been as social as I was in my younger years or in my LA years but why? I am not sure. I don't hide my behind my tail in social situations, but I haven't been out and about as much as in years past. Why? I think it is all money. It gets expensive to be single and social. And I'm not talking about the dating part of it or the part where I have to lock my cupboards from those of the male persuasions.
This week I received a number of invitations from friends for various activities and had I decided to do them all in the next 2 weeks, it would have cost me almost $100. All those things are fun but I can't feasible do everything that is out there to do or I would be eating mac and cheese every night...oh wait, I kind of do that anyway. Where is the balance of playing Settlers for a couple hours, getting together to chat, or watching that favorite TV show with your compatible TV buddies, with the balance of getting sushi, seeing the latest theater release movie, or going disco bowling? Both are good, but where do my funds go.
So I thought I would figure a number of activities that cost less than $10 that people could get together and do. Granted, some of them aren't as fun for me (i.e. those organized sports things) but still lends to social interactions.
Newly release movie - $10
** to make the night more fun - go to Movies 8 (or another dollar movie place), see two movies. And if you can find someone taking a popcorn tub out the door or just about to toss it, ask for it. Only 25 cents to refill it. The whole night for 2 movies and a tub of popcorn - $2 or $3
Comedy Sportz - $8 to $10
** another (not necessarily better) option. Try the Yellow Number 2 show on Thursday nights. Same funny guys, just in a longer format. Plus it's only $3 (I believe. Or, until Nov 15 this year, get a group to go to the Big Shot Karaoke Night. You get to perform. Or your friends. Along side some Comedy Sportz players. it's great fun and you'll laugh until your cheeks hurt. (Cost $5, although there are coupons for $3)
Marie's Callendars Pie Night. $5/slice. Or if you go in February, July?, or October. You can get a whole pie for only $6. Best tradition ever. How wants pie?
Sports $0. (with a S not a Z) - not a big fan of organized sports where I look foolish, but always fun to play ultimate or volleyball with friends, still.
Group movie nights. $0. Unless you rent or buy the DVD, then it can rant from $2.99 to $19.99. Now this is better if said friends have a comfortable living room with lots of soft furniture. Sitting on a hard (albeit carpeted floors) takes away from the movie experience. But movie nights are fun.
Favorite TV group nights. $0 - except the cost of food. Whether it be a cheesy TV night with something on the WB or everyone's favorite Office Show or seeing which reality star is kicked off this week. It's pretty fun having a weekly tradition of getting together with other fans/friends.
Since I have to keep this Utah-nized. No beach can be included - $0. I love going to the beach. It deserves it time on here.
But there are the Canyons and that usually means bonfires - $10 - estimated cost of wood and s'mores ingredients. Or a drive through the Canyon. Just the cost of gas.
Park City - I just love walking up and down the streets, so it's free to me. But others tend to want to eat there or go to the outlet mall. Far more than $10.
Country Dancing - and not your line dancing stuff - $5 to $10. I haven't done this in years, because I haven't found a non-cowboy-yet-country-dancing guy who would go with me.
Kite flying - $0. All I need is some good wind and a buddy to go with. It's hard to get a kite up in the air, when only a 3 year old will come along.
Game nights - usually I am not a huge fan, but I love the social interactions. My favorites are Speed Scrabble, Settlers (I will win someday) and Bang!(I will play again someday).
Film Festivals - varies depending on theme and location.
Peng's parties - they speak for themselves and he changes from $0 to $5 or so
Okay, my list if very incomplete and maybe a little boring (except to me), but I am dozing off. Feel free to add if you read this.
Kitchen
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment