Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"So he hasn't texted me all day"

Tuesday, November 13, 2007
As I walked into the gym tonight, I heard one girl talking to the girl behind the counter and overheard the line, "so he hasn't texted me all day!" It made me think. Times have changed. I think they have changed even in my short lifetime but think about it longer. Courtship has changed. Or even the stage getting to courtship. And I admit, I am right there with it.

As an outside observer, the comment was so silly. So big deal he didn't text you all day. Maybe his phone was dead. Maybe he was busy. Maybe he was was still at work or school, it was only 6:30 pm. The night was young.

This shows the impatience of our generation. Everything has to be quick. We need answers now. We all have cell phones, we all text, we all email. What if we had to live as our parents or our grandparents did. Would we survive? Could we wait until we get home and night to use the phone. Could we walk to the mailbox? Would we send letters and communicate to each other in such a slow method? Life is so immediate news and 3 to 5 days...is old news.

And back to courtship. If our generation lived in the world of waiting for him to seek and find. To call on us and court us. Would girls give up, would guys give up? How could we communicate without short 160ct messages? Would we have the patience to respond without the leisure of a cell phone and wait a couple hours to actually communicate.

I understand where we are now with cell phones, text messaging, emails, and online social networking. I am there. I do it. And I am not going to give it up. But just made me think of how much society has changed and evolved. Would you consider it evolving or just losing patience. I don't know if I could survive with this immediate mode of contact.

But girl, give him a day to text you. I think he was just caught up with the day.

0 comments:

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates