Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So, it's Not Rocket Science, but...

Wednesday, April 22, 2009
It's tough work.

The other day I was talking to a friend and he said to me. "So, how do you become a P.A. I want to do it." And before I could really respond, he continued. "Because it seems real easy to get and an easy job to do." Right then I stopped my original of advice and consideration on getting him a job with me and laughed a little inside.

Obviously, in the 6 or so months that I have been around him, and the years he has been in LA, he didn't get it.

Yes, I work as a PA. It's not rocket science. You don't even need to go to school to do it, although almost every PA I know is currently enrolled in school or has graduated from college or an intensive film program. It's not rocket science. You spend your days standing on set blocking people from walking on the set (or 'locking it down"). You dump trash. You make photocopies. You spend days at Kinkos or office supply stores. Even to the extent where the employees at said store start to say hello because they know you. It's not rocket science. you just have common sense, be friendly, be quick to respond, and able to take instruction.

But it's hard to do. You still spend a minimum of 12 hours on set, do the most menial of tasks, get paid the lowest of anyone on set, and usually get the least amount respect (depending who you work for). And it's hard to get. PAs are dime a dozen. Since it's not rocket science, anyone really can do it. Productions can hire anyone to do it, and if they don't work out, they'll hire someone else. But because the PAs are a dime a dozen, that also means there are a lot taking the jobs, almost before they are posted. It's a who knows who business and only the strong survive. Only those willing to pay their dues to get to the next step.

Should I get him a job? Offer him the chance to work at least 60 hours a week, with little respect. Just curious.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://cahuzuki.arcadepages.com/tahofug.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates