Minus a week or so gig, last month, it's been almost 6 weeks since I have any sense of security. "Oh it will all pick up soon." "I'll call you if I hear of anything." "Oh don't worry it's slow for all of us." "blah blah blah recession." "ha ha ha, if you are bored you can come and clean my house." "Since you have free time let's [insert $ activity]".My life is really difficult right now. I have full faith that it will turn around, but in about two weeks my rent will be due again and then I don't know what to do. Temp agencies don't have work. Shows are on hiatus or crewed up.
Yesterday I called 32 shows that are going into production in the next month or two. Probably the first half that I called all told me that they were already crewed up, the second half were a little optimistic for me, telling me to either call back in a given time or that they were just about to start crewing up. Yet no takers. In the past month I have contacted well over 60 companies (some multiple times through multiple methods. Yet nothing. (All of the following numbers are what I have record of, so are lower than the final probably, but...) I sent 48 faxes, made 45 phone calls (most as following up to the faxes), sent 28 emails, applied to 17 companies online, and sent 51 job referrals (29 of who were polite enough to get back to me, but that's as far as it got). Still nothing.
My question to you. What advice do you have in job hunts, finding something, and getting all the way in the door? As far as I have gotten i
s the tip of my foot in, but I can't get the door to open any wider than that. Because I am trying to get on with a company or show that doesn't typically advertise for openings, it's a lot of cold calling. In fact I have created the most intensive job search database to make contacting, following up, and keeping a history of communication with each of the shows. But no matter how organized or coordinated my search is or how skilled I am, I can't seem to get anything going.My other questions to you, my friends and family and possible perfect strangers.
• What do you think of my most current (June 2009) RESUME? Is there something I should change?
• What strategies have you found to work in looking for a work or when hiring individuals?
• Do you know of any companies that are, or have departments that are, media/audio-visual/creative/event planning based? And any chance they are hiring?
My ideal job would be Production Coordinator (logistical planning, organization, tracking schedules, etc) or Associate Producer (planning logistical needs, coordinating with talent, locations, and crew; creative development input). And of course, I will continue to be a production assistant at this time. I don't want to edit for those who believe I still edit. I gave up the career based post production world years ago.
Also, just because I am in LA, I am not stuck here. I have applied to features being shot in Detroit, Boston, Salt Lake City. I have submitted my resume to a company in Boston, to one in Boise, and to one in Orange County. I'll go anywhere family or close friends are. To tell you the ideal job (aka the truth), I want to find a company in Orange County that I can a permanent gig with. I would love to live down there, but I digress.
Any other words of advice you want to give to me?
Like I said, I am to a point desperation. I have prayed intently over getting and finding work. I have looked on all the jobs boards that post positions with any resemblance to audio-visual work and applied to what ever I found. I have networked out. I have cold-called. I just don't know what else to do at this point.
#edit: If anyone has any "temporary" positions in Los Angeles, I would like to hear about them.
0 comments:
Post a Comment