Saturday, September 5, 2009

FALL FRIDAY NIGHT LINEUP / Predictions

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Supernanny (Season 6)

I don't watch it so my comments are limited to the brief moments I have paused when flipping channels. I think I have stopped only 3 or 4 times and nevermore than half the episode. Why does it do well? It's a reality show with limited need of resources so the costs are low in creating it and it speaks to the general population who want to do the best in raising their kids (if most people have kids who are terrors).

But from a business point of view, they have placed it on Friday nights at the top of the lineup. Fridays seem to be saved for family-styled programming. The mainstream target market (18-42 year-olds) don't sit at home on Fridays, so it's best to probably put in a show that isn't catered directly to those viewers. It is for the moms and dads who are trying to put their little devils to bed and wondered why it was so hard. So time to turn on Supernanny and find tips to fix it.

This fall on Fridays at 8/7 pm it is against veterans Ghost Whisperer (Season 5), Smallville (Season 9) and Law & Order (Season 20), 'Til Death (Season 4) plus Freshman comedy series Brothers. My prediction is very limited because of all those on at this time slot, I only watch Law & Order and that's not even consistent - just whenever there is nothing else to watch off of DVR. I have seen a few episodes of 'Til Death, but it never drew me in. Last year, I watch an episode of Ghost Whisperer and liked it, but never kept with it. Smallville, never drew me in, either with the few episodes I watched, but I know people love it, but it's also the The CW which doesn't draw huge numbers. So I say that during the Friday night 8pm time slot, it will hold decent numbers, being beat out by Law & Order and keeping close to Ghost Whisperer. It will beat out Brothers, 'Til Death and Smallville.


Ugly Betty (Season 4)

This is a show that I watch, but don't really miss when it's not on. I guess that can mean that I am "over it". But I still find it a creative show, with over-the-top acting and crazy story lines in the style of soap operas. What I would like to see is Betty get those dang braces off. It's been over 3 years (in their world and even in our world). It's time. Give her a pearly white smile. I get the idea that she's physically ugly by wearing braces, not knowing how to dress and a frumpy dresser as it is, and unmanageable thick hair. But she works at a fashion magazine. It should have some influence on her. And towards the end of last season, I think she started to realize that fashion is necessarily a shallow thing, but a thing of art. As charming as I find the show, I don't think there is must life left in it. I think it has oneone, maybe two, more seasons and then I wouldn't be surprised if it is canceled. Four (or five) seasons would be a good run and I would love to see "Amanda" in other comedic roles.

But ABC has switched it to Friday nights. It may have some good numbers, and it largest competition is probably going to be Medium and Southland. It's also against Dollhouse as well - which I don't know why? Why was Dollhouse renewed. I watch half an episode of the premiere and thought it was terribly boring. I haven't heard great reviews and it had poor ratings, but it was still renewed. Why? I don't know. It's also going up against Southland, from the creators of ER on NBC. If you know, me then you know that I am a big ER fan. And the short run season during Winter 2009, I really enjoyed. Maybe it was my loyalty to John Wells Production. Maybe it was exposure to Los Angeles. Maybe it was the production quality and how "real" it feels/looks. I hope it does well and think it well. It is a solid show. As for Medium it's been a pretty solid show and has kept some good ratings. It did get the network switch from NBC to CBS this year, so it might lose some of it's viewers.

The Friday night 9/8c pm time slot is going to be a race. Definitely Dollhouse will lose, but the other three are going to be tight. If I have to predict, I'll go with Ugly Betty, 2nd place to Southland, and a close 3rd to Medium. Stay tuned. Medium might win though, since it will be airing before the other two, so might grab viewers early.


ABC
8 PM - Supernanny (10/16)
9 PM - Ugly Betty (10/9)
10PM - 20/20 (9/11)

CBS
8 PM - Ghost Whisperer (9/25)
9 PM - Medium (9/25) * Moved from NBC to CBS
10PM - Numbers (9/25)

CW
8 PM - Smallville (9/25)

Fox
8 PM - Brothers (9/25) * New Show Fall 2009
8:30 PM - 'Til Death (10/2)
9 PM - Dollhouse (9/25)

NBC
8 PM - Law & Order (9/25)
9 PM - Southland (9/25)
10PM - Jay Leno (9/18) * New Show Fall 2009

0 comments:

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates