The year was 1996. The month May. The time, one week before our days as Kuna Kavemen would come to an end as we were just about to commence a whole new journey in life. It was the last days we would walk those High School hallways, that would soon be something only a few more grades would even enjoy. It was a different time then. And our English teachers knew this and wanted us to start dreaming as well as remember the past.
Two weeks ago, in 2007, I went home for a short weekend trip. On the counter lay two envelopes, one addressed to me and one addressed to Christi, each penned by our own names. Inside the throughts of yester-year were scribbled in my familiar handwriting. It was me writing to me.
I started out to remind myself of the friends I had in high school. It's been 10 years, I haven't forgotten them. We have all changed and defined ourselves, but we still have that senior year connection. This was extremely evident last summer at our reunion when it saddened me not to see Becca there and Steve almost didn't show up. But he did and almost made our group complete. I reminded myself of them, the activities we shared, and the fun times it was. That is the hard part to forget. Kuna was a good place of solid friendships in the past.
Next I wrote some of my dreams and desires. Most I have accomplished, one I forgot about, and a few I have yet to achieve. Ten years ago I hoped that Kelly (circa 2007) study European History in college - I didn't. I barely made it through German at BYU, but still hold the love I have of that area. I dreamed that I would have traveled more. The sad thing as part of that dream, I still have yet to own a passport. I have grown stingy in my dreams and travelling may not be as high as a priority as say rent, car payment or the occasional expensive Mac gizmo. But I should travel more. It adds excitement to life. And traveling means getting beyond the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Coast.
I also told Kelly-2007, "I hope you have taken a film class or two." My senior year is when I thought of film, but didn't realize how much I would make it part of my life and just to think, almost three years ago, I let that dream go. But I accomplished far more than one or two film classes. I graduated with a degree in film, spent 2 years working at KBYU, have managed an entire creative staff as part of a documentary company, have been engaged as a production coorditor and manager, and have even participated in some large scale productions and that's what I feel is only the beginning. I still have so much more go in life.
I also dreamed that I would be married now. But we all know that hasn't happened. Just a matter of fact, I just hope that within the next years it does, but where is that perfect-for-me-man that I'll be able to laugh with, grow with, relax with, play with, and learn with. I don't know know, but it's not something I am focusing too much on. Should I more? Should I open more doors, or at least search for the doors to open. If you are behind door number 1, 2, or 3...just holler. It'd be nice to meet you.
I dreamed that I would make it to California. Of course, my thoughts were in the Central Coast of California, not Sunny So-Cal. I was taking Nathan's word for that area, and I'm sure it is nice, but getting to LA was still a great accomplished and a signficant part of my life.
Those are the dreams that I recall most fervently.
But now, what do I feel lies for the next 10 years? What do I hope to accomplish?
Professionally, I hope to strengthen my talents in film and to be part of a successful production team, managing the workflow. I am not sure if this means I start one or I am part of another team that we build something strong together. I hope to develop some strong films, documentaries and eventually a strong line of children's media.
Educationally, I hope to return to school. This is a scary step because school is hard. But I want to reach the goal of furthering my education. I have a few years to decide something, or a couple, but right now I am thinking production management with an emphasis in children's entertainment. I want to be able to teach in an unconventional way.
Spiritually, I want to better myself. I want to come to know my Savior as well as I know my closest friends or family members. I want to know the scriptures so much better than I do know. I have a testimony, I just want it to be deeper rooted in the soil, so much deeper.
Physically, I just don't want the ills of aging to come upon my body. I hope to increase my stamina and tone my body. I don't want to be one of those older woman who just give up on life. I want to keep a healthy lifestyle.
As for other small aspects of life...I can't see where I want to live - OC, CA; Idaho, SLC - all seem appealing. Or if I do find that perfect guy, I'll be where he is - just hope it is on the West Coast somewhere. I hope to buy a few homes for investment purposes. I hope to be stable in my income and not the worries I feel right now.
Lastly, I hope not to forget my friends. In ten years I hope to still be in contact with Anna, Amy, Wendy, and Michelle. Even if it means once a year, I still want to maintain contact.
So, there we are, what was hoped for in 1996, where I was in 2007, and what is hoped for again in 2017.
Kitchen
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment