'Tis the season to dress up in something not be yourself. For just less than a week, each night has been full of mere mortals hitting the town in something other than themselves. But have you ever thought about what your Halloween costume says about you?
Experts have claimed that our costume choices are not as random as you might believe. In whatever costume you choose it's a time to spend a night in something of a fantasy. Or Halloween is time to dress up and emulate someone you admire or not so much.
So with that thought what I have I gone as in the past few years. Well, I didn't dress up all through college and a few years afters, so we will start with 2003.
2003 - first year in LA, still new. Went as a tourist. I felt foolish dressing up so I grabbed my video camera and hat and went kind of as myself. No creativity.
2004 - Start a three year pattern of dressing up with Amy. This year we went as little girls playing dress-up. Dressing-up on Halloween.
2005 - Amy and I went as one of our favorite musical characters - the Witches from Wicked. But we both refused to be the Wicked Witch. Although I was green. I was still Good.
2006 - Amy and I, along with three close friends, we went as the Interns from Gray's Anatomy, this year for the convenience of the costume. I spent the day decorating and just didn't want to worry too much of a costume.
2007 - Didn't dress up. I just wore all black because I couldn't afford the cash or time to get something since I was setting up for yet another party.
What did my friends and family go as this year:
Christi - Bat Girl - not sure what this says about her, except that she loves the chance to look cute and fun.
Peng - Reno 911 - I bet he loved the movie and wanted be part of the show
Elliott - UPS Man - secret desire for a job, or maybe it is his job
Brock - disco man with a fro - guys love the fro, lots more hair
Holly - Snow White - desire of youth, playfulness, and sweetness
Barry and Friends - biker group - a Mormon group of kids as bikers, a little walk on the wide side
Adam - a nerd - wants to see how the nerds get all the attention and he was a cute nerd
Canyon - a spider - he has a fascination with spider-man, so probably wanted to be a spider - man (oh and he's only 3 1/2)
And years past....
Alena - Rainbow Brite, Batgirl, Wonder Woman - all super heroes or cartoons from yeater-year - probably wants to be a superhero with magical powers
Carmen - pregnant - (she wasn't and this was to a Young Single Adult activity in 2003 ) - just the humor of the situation and maybe the desire for that lot in life; in 2005, she came as a nun...to an LDS activity and even gave the spiritual though...another humor of the situation
Amy - in 2003, ironically enough went as a cowgirl. Ironic because the girl "hates" country and here she comes as the characteristic f country
Shayne - a redneck...anyone who wants to wear a mullet, cut off sleeves from flannel shirt, and jeans...let's you see a simpler side of them for a simpler and humorous look at our white culture
Nikki - a barbie doll - doesn't that say it all
Lora - a spider, a gypsy (those were last years), every year she comes up with a number of these to dress up as. The spider, a chance to be silly and jump against wall. A gypsy as a dedication to a special time in her life spent in Romania.
Kitchen
11 years ago
1 comments:
I didn't dress up at all this year. It didn't feel right without you!
Post a Comment