Friday, August 22, 2008

Leaving Puddleville? Or Arriving?

Friday, August 22, 2008
For all those who follow my life through this blog - so pretty much Russell, Kim, Sherrie, Garrett, Amy and Marissa (I'll shout out to anyone else who I know who reads it) - it has been one crazy summer.

Remember back to the days when school began and the first writing assignment was to transpose an essay on "What I Did on My Summer Vacation." Well...to be honest, I don't know if I ever actually got that assignment, but I did see it on TV or the Tiny Toons gang reliving it out on one of the greatest cartoon feature movies I saw years ago. But I digress. If I was to be in the place of writing what I did, typically it would be full of "I just worked", "I went to my grandma's", "I went the fair", "I went camping." I thought that was how this summer would start out, just working, visiting my family, and maybe camping. But it started with a stint on a reality show in Murray, followed by a vacation-turned-job in Los Angeles mid-July, and ended with me making some quick decisions. What a summer it has been. It has been busy but so eye-opening. I have figured out a path I want to take and feel good about it but by choosing this path, I am going to living a life of uncertainty from one gig to the next, but something I am going to love doing. Oh, so I hope.

After I came back from Los Angeles at the end of July/beginning of August, my mind was reeling. I found a better calling for myself and coming back to BYU was a difficult one. While I enjoy working at BYU, having the spirit that is here in my daily life, doing was I was doing was not as fulfilling as what I had been doing all summer on the shows, especially with the mindset of what I could potentially get to do. So when I got back, I sat down with my boss and we discussed my future and I made the decision to take a blind leap of faith. I didn't have a job in LA or anywhere else, but I felt very good about the decision and didn't feel scared about making the leap. Three weeks past, and I started to get a little nervous that I would be unemployed in LA, but still feeling good about it all. And this week I got the news.

I got a gig on another show and will be moving to Southern California for about 2 months. I will probably be starting September 4th or 5th and working until mid-October on the show. Its a step in the AD direction. I am very excited, very grateful, and very busy as I finish up at BYU, finish up the movie (Scout Camp - watch for it...it's going to be great!), and pack up my car and my stuff for the move. I am grateful for Brian hiring me. Cara noticing my talent and encouraging me. The friends I made on the last show that made those 80 hours/week so much fun.

So you in LA, I'll be seeing you soon.

2 comments:

Amy Sue said...

YAY! I am very excited! Thanks for the update!

Three Coin Productions said...

Congrats Kelly! You will always regret not chasing your dream. Go get 'em!

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates