Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Spirit of the Olympics

Sunday, August 24, 2008
For the past 16 days, every day that I have been home between 7 pm and when I fell asleep, my television has been stuck on channel 5/NBC (except on Mondays at 7 pm - Shout Out to HSM: Get in the Picture).

I just wanted to take a moment and share my thoughts of the Olympics. I love the Olympics. I am not sure when I really started to love them. I grew up with a mother who loves to watch sports thus growing up watching the games faithfully, I have a sister whose young gymnastic career created a love for gymnastics for my whole family, and, most poignant, the Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics. I have a sort of bond to the Olympics, but I think most of mankind do to.

There is something about the Olympics when watching the Opening, Closing, Medals Ceremonies, or the events themselves that just moves me. While not blubbering like watching a chick flick, I am moved to emotions. There is something so sweet and deeply touching when you watch the world's best athletes, the camaraderie among the competitors, and hearing the stories that got the athletes there.

Here is what the Olympics mean to me from some moments I watched.

Support. Some of my favorites was watching (and at time liste ning) to Michael Phelps mother during each and every one of his races. Or Nastia's father - as her coach - and knowing her mother wouldn't come to watch her daughter. But after her mother missed Nastia winning the all-around gold, she was there cheering her daughter on in the individual events. And tonight, I was touched when Michael Phelp's mother express her love for her son (even though it was part of some commercial for some product...I don't remember what so I guess it didn't work on me) and the man she sees him to be in contrast to how the world sees him. It was sweet.

Honorable character. When Dara Torres requested to the judges they hold a race due to a swimsuit malfunction by a competitor. She wanted the face to be fair and not determined by something beyond skill control. How honorable.

Humility. The humility of Marsh and May as they won their back to back gold medal in a rainy day on the beach. They are one of the greatest volleyball teams to exist and haven't lost a set in over 100 games, each, yet they were sincerely excited to win. At the same time expressing their appreciation to fans, families, etc.

Determination. The determination of the swimmer from South America who didn't give up on the Olympics after losing her leg in a car accident.

Excitement. One of my favorite moments was late one night towards the beginning of the Olympics when the US men's team won the bronze. They had all odds against them when the Hamm brother's went home, but they took those odds and tossed them out the window. As they succeeded at each event they excitement radiated through the television to homes across the nation. And when the results were heard, their joy in winning the bronze matched that of the gold-medal winning Chinese team.

Teamwork. I think one of the great moments was the sold-out crowd moment. As Michael Phelps worked to win his 8 gold medal in the relay, his teammate pulled it out for a world record, a team gold and to give Michael Phelps that 8th. Maybe he didn't do it for Michael, maybe he did. But they all said they were a team and it was evident.

Admiration. When watching the women's marathon race...sounds boring...running for 2.5 hours. But it wasn't. And then the runner from Romanian (I don't know her name) who just swept the race. Whenever I attend a marathon, half marathon or 10 K to watch Christi, I get that same surge of emotions and pride (?) towards each runner. There is something about watching them finish after a great distant run. And her running into the Bird's Nest alone - ahead of the crowd - gave me the same feeling. I was in awe of her success.

Those are just a few of the many moments that I loved. It's late and I could probably come up with more.

I just love the spirit of the Olympics. It's so wonderful that for 3 to 3 1/2 weeks, the world can come together in one city and have peace while part of a world of confusion. Aside from the competition, it's a time of togetherness. Maybe it's because it only goes for three weeks, but it's nice. Not getting political here. It's a time we come together to celebrate, to cheer and to participate together as mankind. And it's also great to have so much pride in the U.S. of A. I love it. We rock. We lost to China in how many golds we took home, but we came home with the most medals, overall.

On that note, it was also eye opening, the freedom we have. Something so little as competing in sports. We can choose. If we have the skill and desire, we ca do whatever we want. Some moments of awakening for me was when two Chinese swimmer came away with a gold and a silver in an event and the commentator mentioned that now the family would have a change in lifestyles because of the children. And then learning how the children start so early training for diving, swimming gymnastics or even table tennis. They get pigeon holed in a sport and then that's all the children think to do with the goal of going to the Olympics someday. It's admirable to see that dream within them, but saddening to realize that some of the families social status rests on the shoulders of the young athletes. But I digress.

So coming back, the Olympics has closed, the crews are already cleaning up Beijing, the athletes are returning home and we get to look forward to Vancouver...where the Spirit of the Olympics will live on. Maybe I'll be there.

P.S. I love the ads narrated by Morgan Freeman. They moved me as well. Again, what product...Sony? I don't know. But the ad's were great.

0 comments:

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates